Afternoon trading January 17

1. 14,372 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1, @Patterns and morning crew.

Half-time wrap:

The share market's disappointing start to the year continued with a fresh four-week low after a senior US central bank official dampened expectations that rate cuts are not far off.

The ASX 200 was down 14 points or 0.19% at 7401 mid-session after trading below 7400 for the first time in a month. A split market saw gains in consumer stocks, utilities, tech and healthcare outmuscled by declines in energy and property stocks.

Gold miners were the biggest drag following a sharp overnight retreat in US peers and a disappointing production update from Evolution Mining.

US stocks fell and treasury yields popped overnight after Federal Reserve Governor Christopher Waller warned the central bank was in no rush to cut rates. Waller said the bank would "move carefully and methodically". The S&P 500 shed 0.37%.

Personal trading: Sloppy morning. Opportunities of the sort I seek were pretty scarce and when they came I was mostly asleep at the wheel. Dithered over BAP and missed the initial rebound AND the second chance. Similarly with EVN below $3. Took an eternity but I did get something out of PEN.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.