Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1 and morning crew. Half-time wrap: A...

1. 14,330 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    Thanks @shovel40, @Fiji1 and morning crew.

Half-time wrap:

A commodities rally and a record finish on Wall Street helped sweep the Australian share market to a fresh high as a positive quarter headed towards its close.

The ASX 200 surged 69 points or 0.88% to its first record since March 3, buoyed by gains in miners, property trusts and utilities. Arcadium Lithium, Alumina and Strike Energy were the morning's best performers.

The index breezed past its previous peak of 7847 in the opening minutes of trade, soaring as high as 7901.2 before reaching mid-session at 7889. The rally kept the index firmly on track for a positive week, month and quarter heading into the four-day Easter break.

The market extended its gains as soft economic data provided the RBA with further evidence of the impact of interest rate hikes. Job vacancies slumped 6.1% in a sign of a cooling labour market. Retail sales increased by a tepid 0.3%.

Wall Street laid the groundwork for the advance as the S&P 500 reversed three days of losses en route to a new high. The broadest of the major US stock indices gained 0.86%.

Personal trading: I came, I saw, I made offers. The market scoffed. I did not get filled.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.