ICJ did NOT claim that Israel was committing genocide.Former...

1. 16,844 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 164
    ICJ did NOT claim that Israel was committing genocide.

Former International Court of Justice President Joan Donoghue says media inaccurately covered interim verdict in January, which ruled on rights of the plaintiffs, not Israel's actions.

The widespread claims that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled that it is "plausible" that Israel is committing genocide in the Gaza Strip are inaccurate, former ICJ President Joan Donoghue told the BBC.

“I’m glad I have a chance to address that because the court’s test for deciding whether to impose measures uses the idea of plausibility. But the test is the plausibility of the rights that are asserted by the applicant, in this case South Africa,” Donoghue, who was still the court's president when the interim verdict was issued, said on the HARDtalk program.

“The court decided that the Palestinians had a plausible right to be protected from genocide and that South Africa had the right to present that claim in the court,” she continued. “It then looked at the facts as well. But it did not decide—and this is something where I’m correcting what’s often said in the media—it didn’t decide that the claim of genocide was plausible.”

She noted that the ICJ interim ruling “did emphasize in the order that there was a risk of irreparable harm to the Palestinian right to be protected from genocide. But the shorthand that often appears, which is that there’s a plausible case of genocide, isn’t what the court decided.”
    https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/389121

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.