Pauljibo, that is a totally distorted via of the role of GG ,...

1. 1,301 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    Pauljibo, that is a totally distorted via of the role of GG , the GG is the peoples representative, against the parliament if necessary, as the reigning monarch in GB is the peoples representative against the parliament, if you read any english history, some parliaments in much earlier times were not acting in the best welafre of the population, the Realm was mandated to take this role, in Commonwealth countries the GG is the nominated person to safeguard the peoples interest, once in Australia has this been used, and only because the supply (budget ) bills were rejuectd by the senate 3 times. Usually 2 rejections and the PM of the day can call a double dissilution election. Whitlam refused, the govt was going to run out of money , the GG excercised his reserve powers and dismissed the government ,all correctly.
    In citizenship lessons at school in the 1960's (yes i voted in 72 and 75 elections) were were taught that a petition of 10% of the population, i think the number is , delivered to the GG can make the GG act on the peoples behalf against the govt of the day , you don't have thgis taught in school any more I believe. time the Australian Constitution was a mandatory subject in late primary school or early high school IMO.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.