It will be great to see some money flow back to ASN in the form...

1. 12,858 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 274
    It will be great to see some money flow back to ASN in the form of tax credits...

https://le.utah.gov/~2024/bills/static/SB0075.html

• Accessibility
    • Use the Settings Button to view other accessibility Settings
    • Skip to Content
    Search Settings
    Login

[paste:font size="4"]S.B. 75 Mineral Amendments

• Sen. Owens, Derrin R.

Floor Sponsor:

Rep. Albrecht, Carl R.
      • Drafting Attorney: Patricia Owen
      • Fiscal Analyst: Ivan D. Djambov
      • Bill Tracking
      Tracking Page
      • Bill Text
        • (Currently Displayed)
      • Information
        • Last Action: 1 Mar 2024, Senate/ filed
        • Last Location: Senate file for bills not passed
      Introduced[/paste:font]
      S.B. 75
      3rd Sub.

Representative Casey Snider proposes the following substitute bill:

1 MINERAL AMENDMENTS
      2 2024 GENERAL SESSION
      3 STATE OF UTAH
      4 Chief Sponsor: Derrin R. Owens
      5 House Sponsor: Carl R. Albrecht

7 LONG TITLE
      8 General Description:
      9 This bill addresses mineral exploration or development.
      10 Highlighted Provisions:
      11 This bill:
      12 ▸ amends definitions, including the definition of "eligible claimant";
      13 ▸ modifies aggregate value of tax credit certificates that may be issued under certain
      14 circumstances;
      15 ▸ addresses federal agency consultation before certain acts related to federal
      16 designations and minerals; and
      17 ▸ makes technical changes.
      18 Money Appropriated in this Bill:
      19 None
      20 Other Special Clauses:
      21 This bill has retrospective operation.
      22 Utah Code Sections Affected:
      23 AMENDS:
      24 40-6-24, as enacted by Laws of Utah 2022, Chapter 108
      25 ENACTS:
      26 63L-2-202, Utah Code Annotated 1953
      28 Be it enacted by the Legislature of the state of Utah:
      29 Section 1. Section 40-6-2459-5-201.
      113 [(i) "Mine reopening date" means with respect to a closed mine, the earliest date on
      114 which each of the following is true:]
      115 [(i) the owner or owner's agent obtains for the closed mine each of the following that a
      116 reasonable and prudent person would consider adequate to begin operation of a closed mine:]
      117 [(A) each federal, state, or local government approval, permit, license, and certificate;
      118 and]
      119 [(B) each right in land, including each permit, lease, and title;]
      120 [(ii) each approval, permit, license, and certificate described in Subsection (1)(i)(i)(A)
      121 is in effect without any modification that might jeopardize resuming operation of the closed
      122 mine; and]
      123 [(iii) resuming operation of the closed mine is not temporarily or permanently enjoined
      124 by an order or other decision of a court or administrative body.]
      125 [(j)] (g) "Mineral" means:
      126 (i) a metalliferous mineral as defined in Section 59-5-201; or
      127 (ii) a metalliferous compound as defined in Section 59-5-202.
      128 [(k)] (h) "Tax credit certificate" means a certificate issued by the division that:
      129 (i) lists the eligible claimant's name and taxpayer identification number;
      130 (ii) lists the amount of the eligible claimant's tax credit authorized under this section
      131 for a taxable year; and
      132 (iii) includes other information as determined by the division.
      133 (2) An eligible claimant that seeks to claim a tax credit under Section 59-5-216 for a
      134 taxable year shall apply to the division for a tax credit certificate.
      135 (3) The eligible claimant shall apply for a tax credit certificate on a form provided by
      136 the division and approved by the State Tax Commission.
      137 (4) The eligible claimant shall include in the application for a tax credit certificate the
      138 following information for the taxable year in which the [person] eligible claimant seeks a tax
      139 credit certificate:
      140 (a) proof that the eligible claimant satisfies the requirements of Subsection [(1)(d)]
      141 (1)(b);
      142 (b) a description of the mine where the exploration activity occurred;
      143 (c) proof of each certified expenditure, including the amount; and
      144 (d) any other information the division requests.
      145 (5) (a) After the division receives an application for a tax credit certificate, for each
      146 expenditure in the application, the division shall approve the expenditure as a certified
      147 expenditure or deny the expenditure as an expenditure that is not a certified expenditure.
      148 (b) If the division denies an expenditure, the division shall provide the person a written
      149 explanation that states each reason the division denied the expenditure and give the person an
      150 opportunity to correct any deficiency or provide additional information.
      151 (6) (a) The tax credit certificate shall state the amount of the tax credit, which is equal
      152 to the amount of the eligible claimant's certified expenditures as approved by the division in
      153 accordance with Subsection (5).
      154 (b) The division may not issue a tax credit certificate for certified expenditures related
      155 to exploration activities at a mine if the aggregate value of tax credit certificates issued for
      156 certified expenditures related to exploration activities at the same mine exceeds $20,000,000.
      157 (c) Notwithstanding Subsection (6)(b), the division may not issue a tax credit
      158 certificate for certified expenditures related to exploration activities at a mine if:
      159 (i) the aggregate value of tax credit certificates issued to the same mine exceeds
      160 $30,000,000; and
      161 (ii) the exploration activity is undertaken to produce a mineral for which the United
      162 States is greater than 50% net import reliant in the calendar year in which an exploration
      163 activity is commenced as provided in the Mineral Commodity Summaries published by the
      164 United States Geological Survey.
      165 (7) (a) An eligible claimant may assign a tax credit certificate to another person if the
      166 eligible claimant provides written notice to the division in a form prescribed by the division,
      167 that includes:
      168 (i) the eligible claimant's written certification or other proof that the eligible claimant
      169 irrevocably elects not to claim the tax credit authorized by the tax credit certificate; and
      170 (ii) contact information for the person to whom the eligible claimant is assigning the
      171 tax credit certificate.
      172 (b) If the eligible claimant meets the requirements of Subsection (7)(a), the division
      173 shall issue an assigned tax credit certificate to the person identified by the eligible claimant in
      174 an amount equal to the eligible claimant's tax credit certificate.
      175 (c) A person to whom an eligible claimant assigns a tax credit certificate may claim the
      176 tax credit under Section 59-5-216 as if the person met the requirements of Section 59-5-216, if
      177 the person files a return under Title 59, Chapter 5, Part 2, Mining Severance Tax.
      178 (8) An eligible claimant that receives a tax credit certificate in accordance with this
      179 section shall retain the tax credit certificate for the same time period that a person is required to
      180 keep books and records under Section 59-1-1406.
      181 (9) The division shall annually submit to the State Tax Commission an electronic list
      182 that includes:
      183 (a) the name and identifying information for:
      184 (i) each eligible claimant to whom the division issues a tax credit certificate; and
      185 (ii) each person to whom an eligible claimant assigns a tax credit certificate in
      186 accordance with Subsection (7);
      187 (b) for each person described in Subsection (9)(a), the amount of the tax credit stated
      188 on the tax credit certificate; and
      189 (c) for each person described in Subsection (9)(a)(ii), information necessary to identify
      190 the tax credit certificate that the eligible claimant assigned to the person.
      191 (10) In accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act,
      192 the division may make rules governing the administration of the tax credit certificate process
      193 described in this section.
      194 Section 2. Section 63L-2-20240-6-24, effective May 1, 2024, has retrospective operation to January 1, 2024.

STATE
      SENATE

HOUSE OF
      REPRESENTATIVES

STAFF OFFICES

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.