Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-555

1. 35,843 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    I reckon it will happen PP. However, it will be really difficult for sure.

Imo it will be a staged changeover. It may take a couple of decades for it to be fully implemented.

It will start with limited services such as :

Platooned trucks on interstate runs.
    Taxi/bus services in inner city areas at low speeds.
    Local suburban deliveries at low speeds.

I think it will take the successful implementation of those limited services before we start moving to wider applications.

I believe there will still need to be quite an investment in infrastructure for things to support vehicle to vehicle communications.

The benefits ? Huge.

This will mobilise people that are stuck now. The disabled. The elderly. Kids. All those people being able to move around under their own steam will be a huge boost. And the more they do it, the cheaper it will get.
    Eventually it will mean that most of us will no longer own a car. The second biggest item we purchase in life. We simply won't need to own one which frees up a significant amount of cash.
    It will also mean we can use our roads better by fitting more cars on, smoothing traffic flow and reducing travel times which will reduce infrastructure and business costs.

The real payoff though is safety. Autonomous driving will reduce accidents to almost zero. Road accidents are a huge burden on society. The financial saving will be enormous.

Just the financial savings alone are enough of an incentive .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.