I am unsure of the correct pronunciation of God’s name, as it...

1. 628 Posts.
    I am unsure of the correct pronunciation of God’s name, as it seems to have been lost, obscured, or confused in history. This is because the Hebrew text only contains the consonants, lacking vowel markings, and therefore there is much debate on how, what is commonly referred to as the “Tetragrammaton”, YHWH (or YHVH/YHUH) is pronounced. According to my current limited research and understanding, any attempts at the correct pronunciation are just assumptions at best. Therefore, unless a confirmed prophet, angel of the Lord, or the LORD God Himself personally tells it to us, we cannot know it for certain.

According to my sources, the difference in spelling (YHWH or YHVH/YHUH) arises from attempts to represent the Hebrew characters in English. In Hebrew, the name consists of four letters: Yod, He, Vav (or Waw), and He. The difference between "YHVH" and "YHWH" is primarily in how the Hebrew letter Vav/Waw is transliterated into English. In some transliterations, Vav is represented as "V", while in others, it's represented as "W". Additionally, the vowel sounds inserted between the consonants vary depending on the transliteration system used. The variation “YHUH” arises from the belief held by some that the Hebrew letter Vav might have been pronounced more like a “U” sound in ancient Hebrew. This perspective on pronunciation leads to the form “YHUH” as an alternative representation.

Therefore, based on my limited research, non-existent Hebrew understanding, and only using the tools available to me, e.g., Strong’s lexicon, Blue Letter Bible, and Bible Hub, and other websites, God's true name most likely is as follows:

Hebrew: YHWH, YHVH/YHUH. Transliterated with assumed vowels, Yahweh, Yᵉhôvâh, Yahuah. Possible pronunciations: Yahweh, Yeh-ho-vaw', Yahuah.

Given that I do not know for sure which is the correct pronunciation of His name, I will avoid using it for fear that I will be pronouncing it incorrectly and therefore insulting God. I also believe that the "LORD God" is a good substitute.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.